Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Little things

It's the little things that make up a space. 

Today I was thinking about my room, one of the most significant pieces in my room is my bookshelf. To me one of the most precious things you can own is a book. This way of thinking is a complete credit to my dad who loves books and always has several going at once. So for me my books are special and define certain periods in my life, but my bookshelf does not house books alone. 

My bookshelf is a safe haven for things collected from all over, amazingly without even thinking I have arranged most of these by colour, and I thought I would give you a little look-see into my room:


Sailor Babushka from Southern Highlands
1970s mug from Japan



Red glass jug/jar from Rozelle Markets
Felt toadstool bought by my friend Isobel from Japan
Wooden knitting spool had as long as I can remeber
Japanese money box from Balmain



Green glass bird from Paros in Greece
Blue glass jar from antique and junk shop in Adelaide
Porcelain bird from Adelaide



Doll, I think is Indian given to me as a very small child
Yellow jug from a junk shop in the Blue Mountains

 

Orange pearl mug from a shearing shed in Northen NSW
Little elephant jug from Balmain
Bubble blower from Byron Bay, courtesy of my friend Jess
Gumnut pencil also found by Jess in Griffith, NSW



Collected crucifixes from Mexico, Surry Hills Market and one was a gift

The bookshelf:



I don't think it's easy to explain why we have all these little things in our lives. But they do seem to be more important than simple aesthetics. I hope you have some little treasures too that mean a lot but nothing at all at the same time. 

3 comments:

  1. I love this bookshelf. Every time I come over I always look at it and wonder what new thing you have fallen in love with and decided you must hord.
    I think I love your fairy tale books most of all. There are so many things similar to the shelves in my room that I wonder if you ever have memories that parallel mine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why would you have a framed photo of yourself on your own bookshelf?

    ReplyDelete